Christmas Thanksgiving. Memorial Day. 4th of July. These days (and more) are all known of one thing. No, i’m not talking about how they bring family together or how we all unite as a human race to celebrate freedom or something like that. There is one thing they universally do to us: They kill our diets.
Yep. These days are known as diet killers.
I got sick of letting myself go at family gatherings so I started to offer to cook to help the problem. If I cook good healthy and delicious food, I can eat well and have a good time.
My smashed sweet potatoes are a game changer. While they are paleo and are packed with good saturated fats, they are incredibly delicious. For holidays, some of my family always make the same gross, recession minded mashed potatoes with low fat milk and industrial animal butter. They mix those with giant hormone pumped russet potatoes and exactly ZERO seasonings. Then they mix powdered gravy with water pour it on the potatoes. Talk about prison food. Yuck.
So naturally, when I brought my smashed sweet potatoes over they were a massive hit.
Paleo Smashed Sweet Potatoes
-5 Lbs Organic yellow sweet potatoes (Not Orange ones. These are a bit sweeter)
-1 Green onion bulb
-6 oz. Grass Fed Butter ( I used Kerrygold Irish butter)
-Tons of salt and pepper
- Add some salt and bring a large stock pot to boil
- Boil your potatoes
- Once done, drain the water
- Use a potato masher and mash up the potatoes. Leave the skin on.
- Add Butter and keep mashing
- Leave the consistency chunky and not fully smooth
- Use kitchen sheers to snip the green onion thinly into the potatoes
- Add tons of salt and pepper to taste
- Enjoy next to a big grass fed steak.